FTSF, your favorite decade was… plus a brief conversation with the 90′s

My favorite decade was…

Image

Even though I do feel like Homer quite a bit, my kids are still young enough that it’s hard for me to imagine any period of my life that doesn’t include them being my favorite.

It’s no exaggeration for me to say that my favorite time in life is right now.

I’m happy. I’m healthy. I’m blessed with a great family, both nuclear and extended. I think nuclear family is a real thing, but you might want to Google it and call me a dumbshit, if it doesn’t mean the people who are living under my roof.

The prompt, however, asks to know what my favorite decade was, so I’m going to work under the assertion that I have to go back in time to pick one out.

I went in to this assuming that it was a no-brainer that I would choose the 80′s. The 80′s meant little league baseball, Big League Chew, Fruit Stripe Gum, Gator Gum (yeah, I love gum!), Michael Jackson, Weird Al, The Golden Girls, Manimal, The Greatest American Hero, high school, first dates, first kisses, first loves, first heart breaks, first everythings! It was decade of discovering who I was and laying the foundation for the type of man I’d grow to be.

While I was thinking about all these cool 80′s things and others, like Camaro hair, mullets, Coca-Cola rugby shirts, Swatch watches and Heather Thomas posters, the pesky 90′s kept asking, “Hey, what about me?”

Image

This Heather Thomas poster was my first love.

“What about you, 90′s?” I answered back.

“The 80′s wasn’t that great, Don. You wrecked your Mustang in the 80′s. What about junior high? You broke your collar bone. Also, what about Manimal? Manimal happened in the 80′s. Don’t even get me started on your gay boy crush on Ricky Schroder.”

“WE DON’T SPEAK OF THAT!!” I responded defensively.

“He had a fucking train in his house for god’s sake! A train you could ride on, and I already spoke about Manimal! I liked that show.”

“What’s so great about you anyway, 90′s?”

90′s didn’t answer me back, but I started to ponder (I like pondering) the 90′s and I was able to convince myself that the 90′s could make a solid argument for being my favorite decade.

I started the 90′s a young man or maybe I was more of an old boy? I was a junior in high school when the 90′s rolled around. That’s a pretty exciting time in a young man’s life, and mine was no exception.

The 90′s saw my high school soccer team beat our biggest rival in the state championship game after we started off the season pretty shitty for such a talented team. I think we may have been 8-7 at one point in the season, before things finally clicked.

Image

Just got my medal and the beginnings of a pretty sweet mullet.

Getting out of high school was pretty sweet for sure, not to mention the 4.5 years of college debauchery.

I began the 90′s in the best shape of my life, and I had soccer to thank for that, but then there was college.

College meant parties and red cups of beer and 39 cent tacos from Taco Bell. I started growing what would become a fairly impressive beer gut in the 90′s.

The nineties is also when I met a pretty young lady who’d become my wife, so that’s pretty okay.

I moved to Texas for a few years and got to live in Pasadena for six months as well in the 90′s.  Even though those events were both work related (work sucks, generally), I still enjoyed my time in both places.

Alas, I came back to St. Louis in ’98 to try out this police work for just a couple of years.

A couple of years has turned into 15 years and the 90′s seems like a distant memory now.

While the 90′s were pretty cool, that Heather poster keeps drawing me back to the 80′s, as does reading the back of cereal boxes and jumping ramps on my Team Murray bicycle.

Gah, I’m torn, but I think, to finally finish the sentence and this ridonculous post, that the 80′s is my choice.

40 Responses to FTSF, your favorite decade was… plus a brief conversation with the 90′s

1. Yeah, that’s what i thought you were going to say.

2. I too was torn, but have to admit the 80s kept calling to me more and as you saw with my post that is what I ended up with, too. And by the way, I just saw Heathers on one of the premium movie channels I pay for and totally brought me back and how. And then the other night, I saw Christian Slater in his new show on ABC and seriously couldn’t believe how old looking he got. I guess he 80s were longer off then I like to admit sometimes!

3. bethteliho says:

Sorry don’t know what happened! Anyway, I was saying….loved this response to the prompt! My brother had that HT poster!!! You brought back a shit ton of memories for me.

How did you break your collar bone? The car wreck or soccer? OUCH

4. Twindaddy says:

Man, that’s a tough choice. I don’t know if I could pick between the 80′s and 90′s…

5. rynolexson says:

Yea, you do faintly remind me of Homer Simpson. PS- you should totally bring back that mullet.

6. Stephanie Sprenger says:

You know what? I picked the 80s because it was more fun to write about, but to be honest, I totally preferred the 90s. Also- I am still snickering over your “WE DON”T SPEAK OF THAT!” line. Also? I’m going to re-record that video and fix the sound if it’s the last fucking thing I do. For real.

7. Dana says:

You could have stopped this post at The Greatest American Hero – clearly that show makes the eighties the best decade ever. Believe it or not, I’m walking on air, I never thought I could feel so free-ee-ee!

8. Kat says:

I think that, really, every decade has something going for it. I could find good things in each one but, in the end, had to choose the nineties more for my own personal growth than anything else. It’s been fun to go down memory lane with all of these posts :)

9. Music/pop culture-wise it would be the 80s for me…but then I did have more fun (read: drinking and such) in the 90s…

10. This was probably the most entertaining answer to this week’s prompt

11. Too funny and winning a state championship must have been huge. Showing my age, I remember Ricky Schroeder from the movie “The Champ”. And “Manimal”. I want to say Patrick Duffy did that. If he didn’t to that, I know he was in something with webbed hands and feet. I definitely remember that poster. She was one of the many perfect blondes to adorn college dorm rooms. Here’s to the eighties!

• Thanks for the comment. That’s too funny that you mention The Champ. I distinctly remember watching that movie with my brother and my mom in our living room. When it was over, my brother was BAWLING his eyes out! It was hilarious. The tears, not the movie.

12. I was just a wee little darlin’ in the 80′s….

Ah who the hell are we kidding? High school and college- those were the best years, those were the worst years.

Enough said.

13. Sarah says:

I, obviously, love your statement about the present being the best. I was a sophomore in high school in 1990, so my 90s were also amazing in terms of the growth from HS, to college, to career…. maybe the pop culture wasn’t as amazing, but it was transformational.

14. That poster of Heather should be everyone’s first love. Jesus! And you were part of a state championship team in high school? You must’ve been a god.

15. lrconsiderer says:

Yeaaaah don’t pick the 90′s. The 90′s suck. After this I might start a campaign to burn them, and each person can keep one good memory from them, then we’ll all start skipping from the 80′s to the 2000′s and be done with it.

A friend of mine in college used to always get these striking girlfriends, and all of us (jealous) buddies always wondered why. So we all graduate and this guy moves to California and becomes an assistant producer in Hollywood and gets Heather Thomas as his girlfriend. No bull. The story filters back to us how Joe Montana kept sending Heather flowers and our pal went up to him in a restaurant and told him to bug off. My 80s vicarious thrill. Your 90s decade was impressive, by the way.

17. I’m gonna back your buddy ‘the 90s’ on this one. And because, in one word: the internet and disposable income. The second came as result simply of surviving the recovery from the ’70s that took up most of the ’80s

I’d go back to either decade, I suppose.

18. Kimbo325 says:

Ahh, the mullet! Business in the front, party in the back–that’s the one thing I don’t miss although I did love the 80′s! On a random note, I totally miss St.Louis. I’ve been in Oklahoma for almost 3 years and could actually weep over memories of The Hill.

19. The Cutter says:

The 80s have some appeal, but ultimately I’m gonna go with the 90s. I mean, I started getting laid in that decade, and we had Vanilla Ice.

20. I’m going to stray from the crowd here and say that the 2000′s were my favourite decade. Sure, the 80s had the cool stuff like Pac-man, Knight Rider, A-Team, Magnum P.I., and the pogo ball, but the last thing I would want to do is go back to high school. I had more fun in my 30s than I did in my teens. Go figure.

Man, if I’d known you back in the 80′s or 90′s and we were the same age, we’d have been going to jail for something or other because that mullet of yours is hot. As is HT. If I’d have been a dude, I’d have had the same poster. I had some random not-famous model dude on my closet door and Billy Idol sneering at me from above the bed. Just how I liked him. Until I realized he was short and then that one time he wanted to have sex with me (for real).
    Love the 80s! And 90s! And now, too because well, yeah…

22. jasteck says:

I did the same thing, Don. I’m living in the best decade, so the 80′s was my second choice. It’s good to know that all the decades can compete. It means life is pretty darn good. :)

23. 39 cent tacos? Man alive you had money left over for lots and lots and lots of condiments.,,,

24. Tarana Khan says:

Looks like the 80s wins hands down on this one! Too bad I had no idea what was happening at the time :p

25. I seriously wanted a train in our house. I could not for the life of me believe anyone got to ride from room to room. The fact that anyone could walk to the next room faster never seemed to occur to me.

26. ruchira says:

I agree with ya..the present has all the action but then memories made in 80′s were so much simpler and driven with enthusiasm despite no gadgets…lol

have a good weekend!

27. sisyphusjns says:

You left off the best part of the 80′s, White Snakes “Here I Go Again” video. I never did find a woman who could dance on a car like that who also wanted to have sex with me, but a boy can dream.
    I’m 40, and if I’m doing the math right you’re pretty close to that number. I would choose the 90′s because in the 80′s I lived in small town Florida & in the 90′s I lived in New Orleans, also in the 90′s there were women who were willing to have sex with me (though none of them could dance on cars.) Oh yeah, and beer.

28. Jen says:

wait, what? That was one big run on sentence. I thought you said THIS decade was the best because of your kids?
    The 80′s rocked for me because I was 10-20 then. The 90′s pretty much sucked for me. So gotta say no to that. But I mean, you liked it, so that’s cool.
    Also, all husbands are Homer Simpson.
    PS I think it’s cool Isaiah has his own blog too :-)

29. PinotNinja says:

The ’90s brought us both Nirvana AND Britney Spears, which I think conclusively makes it the most random, and thus greatest, decade ever in pop culture. Also, I think the ’90s was a huge score for my parents. I was in high school during the height of grunge, which meant that, instead of wearing anything tight or cropped or spending hours hairspraying my hair into a giant feathered mess, I religiously wore corduroys and flannels with my hair pulled into a messy bun while rolling my eyes a lot.

30. Laura Lynn says:

Whoa, talk about food for thought! Perfect timing as I am just heading to work and I can mull it over and take a customer poll. I like to have a ‘go to’ question to ask people. Something other than how’s your weekend? or something boring. Yesterday it was ‘What’s your favorite monkey?’ You’d be surprised how many people have one. Fav decade, off the top? 60′s…no no 70′s. But the 2000 to 2010 were pretty fun too. And what ARE those called? The aughts?

31. TheJackB says:

I graduated high school during the 80s and hit most of college during that era, hard to overlook it.

32. The 80′s…I do see your point. But junior high and high school…just no. College was way better for me and that was only the tail end of the eighties. Of course college was only the front end of the 90s. Whatever, I liked my thirties better anyway. Although, that red solo cup was good to me in the 90s…and I don’t know why, but I love that song!

33. pegoleg says:

Wow, the Heather Thomas allure must be pretty strong to dominate a whole decade. Maybe that makes sense for a teenage boy, eh?

34. Valerie says:

If anyone can bring back the mullet, it’s you. You got this, man!

Hugs!

Valerie

Omgahhhd totally the 80′s! Ricky S with that train? Hell yes – believe it. Also, Madonna and lace everything with stupid headbands, rubber bracelets, converse high tops and too much eyeshadow and not enough sense? Yes. And yes. Love the soccer pic too Don. Looks like the 80′s AND 90′s were great to you – I can see why it was hard for you to choose. Well played!

36. Shelley says:

I’m not sure you wrote this… “The Golden Girls?” You old softy. I was thinking the 70′s. Yep that old!

37. Aussa Lorens says:

Buahaha– I don’t remember the 80s ;) The 90s are where it’s at!
    PS- New post man. Here’s a prompt: You, Me, Angelle, Dinosaur Apocalypse. Go.