Floods and shootings and happiness galore…

I’ve mentioned on this blog before that I like to sit down and just write whatever comes to me. If that’s nothing, then so be it, but if something does come to me, then I like to get it all out in one sitting. I don’t like to stop and then finish a post on another day. It’s why I have over 150 drafts of posts that were started, but never finished.

It’s just my way.

I mention that as an introduction to my apology for those of you expecting the part 2 of 2 from this post a few weeks ago.

I think I inadvertenly mislead you into believing that there was a subsequent encounter with the same kid mentioned in that post, but that wasn’t the case at all. That I’m aware, I never saw that kid again and I have no idea what he is doing with his life right now, if he’s even still alive.

My part two was going to be about how we police communities and why I think we could do a better job of it by getting police officers to take responsibility for certain neighborhoods, like we used to do. Somewhere in that point, the story about the kid in part one tied into it by showing how a responding officer who didn’t know that kid may have been quicker to think the worst than an officer who did know this kid and his issues and would be more apt to find a better outcome.

I still believe in this, but that post can wait for another day.

Shortly after that post, when I swear I was going to write the follow-up, we got stranded in our neighborhood by a pissed off Mother Nature.

FullSizeRender 4

The river belongs at the bottom of that hill with the house on it, not on the road where this woman is standing.

We were stuck.

For over two days.

We almost ran out of beer.

Almost.

But at least we were dry, unlike much of the rest of our town.

Our main street through town was underwater, and the small businesses are mostly still closed, though they’re working hard to reopen.

1933402_948971661805085_8687877847957536487_o

Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Lloyd Photography

In our very own hood, of course somebody had a medical emergency and paramedics had to try to get her from dry land through what would have been nearly a mile on the water to more dry land.

10291739_10207442365230663_5498134006000869955_n

It wasn’t working out, so she ended up being air lifted to a hospital.

1935382_10207442363590622_4130125299600552911_n

It felt a little weird being one of the people stranded instead of being one of the people waiting to get the call to help somebody.

I wasn’t complaining, because again, we never did run out of beer, but it was close.

Sometime on the afternoon of New Year’s Eve, we were able to get to the store to replenish for the NYE party.

See? The road is back.

FullSizeRender 6

Even Gman was happy to get out of the house to the grocery store.

IMG_4411

He’s standing in front of the donuts, so that may have had something to do with his “enthusiasm.”

Anyway, we survived the floods, but it distracted me from posting like I wanted to for sure.

In the meantime, I was contacted by a reporter from a local paper called The Riverfront Times.

He wanted to write a story about this blog, so I sat down and talked with him for a couple of hours. Once I get to talking, I go on and on, so I couldn’t even begin to tell you what I said. That makes me nervous. I’m sure I said some derivation of fuck at least ten times. Let’s hope that gets edited out.

We’ll see though. It comes out on Wednesday. If it’s not too embarrassing or damning, I’ll post a link to the Donofalltrades Facebook page. Otherwise, pretend I never brought it up.

I’ll wrap this post up with a shake of my head at the community I live in again, and of course, it centers around violence.

People waking up to the paper on this Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day were treated to the usual Monday full of news, including the shooting of a fourteen year old girl under suspicious circumstances, and the shooting of an armed robber by a police officer.

Ironically, the fourteen year old girl was shot (and killed) just a few blocks from Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd., and the robber was shot during an MLK march in South City.

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 10.22.10 AM

Of course the police related shooting is the one that’s front and center, because it’s more “newsworthy.” I know this because there are nearly 300 comments on the police shooting and fourteen on the article written about the little girl.

Again, a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD girl has been shot in the back and killed, but we’re going to have to hear about the seemingly justified shooting of a grown ass man caught in the middle of his attempted armed robbery of an occupied fast food restaurant.

The officer was flagged down by a witness who told him the restaurant was being robbed, and because he’s a police officer, he went immediately there instead of ignoring the person or driving somewhere else, and sure enough, there was a robbery in progress.

I can’t get into details, because I don’t know anything beyond what I’ve read in the paper about this incident. Maybe there will be video that shows what happened, I hope there is, and I hope it shows the officer did exactly what he was trained to do.

What’s he trained to do?

If he feels as though his life is threatened and in danger, or the lives of others are in danger, then he is trained to put a stop to that threat.

An armed person is a threat.

End of story.

Have a gun and an officer is in the same room with you?

You best be dropping it before the officer even has to order you to do so, and if you don’t do it immediately upon our telling you to then we’re going to go ahead and assume that you are plotting bad things in your head and will shoot you.

That’s just the way it is.

If you think I’m going to wait until you start to raise your arms while holding the gun, or get a shot off first, then you’re fucking crazy.

Absolutely FUCKING CRAZY!

You see, we have sons and daughters and moms and dads and grandmas and dogs and cats, and all these folks like to see us come home safely at the end of our shift, even if some of you out there don’t.

I’ll wait to see what comes out of this shooting with respect to evidence and community reaction before I judge too harshly, but it’s frustrating that there’s a rush to judgment by people with no clue, when a police officer does what he thinks/hopes is the right thing, but the death of a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL to gun violence is just another secondary article in a paper constantly generating articles about guns and violence and kids caught in the middle of both.

I pray we as a society can get our heads out of our asses pretty soon with respect to guns and violence and what we expect of our police officers, because the status quo just isn’t working for me.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Floods and shootings and happiness galore…

1. bellaball says:

Completely understand – watched a video of a lady who was so mad about a kid that got killed and the only thing the people in the community were mad about was an officer shooting. I don’t understand either, They are full time criminals but the kid was a KID!!!! Same story just different cities. Praying for all officers, including my husband. Thank you for your hard work.

2. pegoleg says:

Glad to see your road is open, but sorry to see the kind of senseless crap that awaits you at the end of it.

The silent majority appreciates what you and your brethren do more than we can say, so hang in there, Don.

3. cookie1986 says:

It’s kinda like how people who have no children know how to solve ALL the parenting problems out there. People who aren’t cops know better than the ones who swear to protect us.
    Bottom line, people are know-it all-assholes who really know nothing of what it’s like to be in someone elses shoes and just eat whatever the media serves them.
    Fuck.

4. Thank god you didn’t run out of beer! 😉

5. #1. I’m glad you didn’t run out of beer. That would have been a tragedy. #2. When you wrote: “My part two was going to be about how we police communities and why I think we could do a better job of it by getting police officers to take responsibility for certain neighborhoods, like we used to do,” it never even occurred to me how policing is set up and that it’s changed. To me, it makes a world of sense to police an area and get to know the people and issues in that area. Why would it be done differently? #3. I appreciate your blogging. Learning what it’s like from your point of view. Being reminded that there are good people out there, doing their job as best as they can, and still being judged for the actions of others, or being judged without knowing the entire picture. Love the picture of G-man, by the way.

6. Anonymous says:

I saw the press conference about the officer-related shooting last night. They announced that there is video of the incident, which they were trying to obtain. I don’t know if they will release it publicly. There were also tons of witnesses, including the restaurant staff and customers. Hopefully that means there won’t be any trouble.

7. Carrie Rubin says:

“An armed person is a threat.”—For sure. And if I or my family was in a restaurant with an armed robber, I’d want the police in there asap and doing what they’re trained to do. Very sad about the 14-year-old girl.

But on to brighter news, congrats on the interview! How exciting. And it’s definitely well earned.

8. OneBusyMama says:

Thank goodness you didn’t run out of beer during the flood! That could have been a tragedy! What would you have done?

As for the news…it’s sad when a story about a armed robber being shot (when doing something that puts others at risk) is more important than an innocent child being killed.

We’ve had pretty amazing floods here too. I hope your Christmas was shooting free. It’s a crazy reflection on society that a 14 year old girl’s death is not huge news.
    But it must be going to be a good year because you didn’t run out of beer. That’s surely a sign.

10. Melanie says:

The Riverfront Times?! No fucking way! I’m totally getting a copy sent to me. Forgive me for thinking that’s the coolest shit ever.
    I was in StL for the flooding. I think it’s scared my kids for life. They had to stay back with Grandpa while my Mom and I drove off thru fuck-all to help my sister and her family escape from their neighborhood, stranded with five month old twins and no water service (they’re not far from 44 & 141). They were flushing their toilets with creek water. We had to save them. But by NYE they were able to go back, and we went with them with plenty of alcohol and fireworks, so all was well. It also sent my ex into a rare moment of concern for others, and I relished in taking him to the edge, even tho, in Des Peres, we were actually totally fine.

11. Once again, I appreciate your perspective and writing. It’s a damn shame when the death of an innocent teenager doesn’t have people emotionally outraged and wanting to have a dialogue. It’s a damn crying shame.

I really can’t add to what’s been said. People really do have fucked up priorities, and I’m glad you didn’t run outta beer. Best of luck with the interview.

13. I bet your newspaper article will be all about how you almost ran out of beer. The people have a right to know about these things.

14. Nadia says:

So good to read you, Donny. I’m glad the Budd Lights saw you through the flood. Stay safe x

15. gesbes says:

Well, that RFT article could have gone lots of ways, so I admit I was a little nervous for you (so much so that I stocked up on beer & Carolans, just in case it was awful). Good news: I just read it and it was one of the best articles I’ve read in quite a while – a very real and balanced perspective. Know that your blogs have helped me stay reasonably sane (and belly-laughing at times) through the last couple years of craziness here in St. Louis – particularly being 4 mi from Ferguson. Love your writing style (my favorite of all time being “A Chat with Some Protestors.”
    Glad you survived being stranded & that things weren’t made worse by running out of beer!