That post last week…

Um, so remember last week this time when I was being bombarded with views to my blog because of that post I wrote that went sort of viral and stuff?

Well, it did. I lost count at the 75,000 views point. This one post nearly doubled the number of views of my nearly two year old blog. Wow!

Not only did it get hella shared on social media (cool people say that, right?), it was also Freshly Pressed, the next day. I understand that striking while the iron is hot is one of those things, but it really did catch me off guard.

I had started about twelve different posts about Ferguson during various stages of intoxication over the week prior to my post last week, but none of them felt right.

I wrote out of anger towards looters, then out of empathy for the family of the “victim” and I wrote out of anger towards people judging all cops based on a few and it went on and on. I never wrote anything that felt comfortable, until last Tuesday.

Last Tuesday, I woke up early and met the wife at Gman’s school. It was our last first day of preschool, so I didn’t want to miss it, even though I worked late the night before and may or may not have had several Bud Light Limes with the dogs when I did finally get home.

IMG_0192.JPG
Gratuitous cute kid pic (our last first day of preschool, hopefullly?)

I left Gman at school and returned home with every intention of falling to sleep again. ALL THE KIDS WERE IN SCHOOL!! Alas, after lying there for a bit, I had to accept the fact that, in spite of the rare moment of peace, I wasn’t going to fall asleep again. Hell bent on not getting out of bed yet, I reached for the iPad and started to write a post.

I knew I wanted to address the shitty events in Ferguson, because writing helps me process things, but I didn’t want to write anything that was inflammatory or that could necessarily be perceived as taking sides on any of the myriad issues that everyone had taken sides on by then.

It had dawned on me that I was getting inquiries from friends, both reality based and online, asking if I was okay and whether or not I was in the Ferguson mess. The folks asking about me were as close to me as the neighboring town I live in and as far away as the other side of the world.

It seemed as though the media had made the entire St. Louis region appear as though it was in shambles, and that simply wasn’t the case. Unless you were in the epicenter of the rioting, you could still be in the region, even in most of Ferguson itself, and not know that there was anything unusual going on. So, I wrote a post that was simply my, “I’m doing okay, thanks” answer to all my friends.

I wrote it while laying naked in bed, and like most things I do naked in bed, it didn’t take very long to finish. I clicked publish and was satisfied that I had posted something and could soon enjoy the comments of my regular 10-15 online friends.

After putting on some pants and getting coffee into my system, I got a text from Wife that said, “nice work, daddy!”

I hadn’t started cutting the grass yet, so I had no idea what she was talking about. It turns out she was talking about my post. Well, Wife is one of my harsher critics, so when I saw that she had posted a link to it on Facebook, I had to read it again myself.

I read it a few times, actually, and decided it was a pretty okay post. The story really tells itself; all I did was put it into words what was going on in my wee brain.

The post was shared by some of my other friends, and then friends of theirs, and before I knew it, it was all over my Twitter feed as well. Even the mayor of St.Louis’s press person retweeted it.

I was contacted by CNN to do an interview with Don Lemon, whoever that is, and by another agency as well.

It was pretty crazy, but I’m really glad to hear that so many people enjoyed the post.

I certainly didn’t invent the idea of being nice to the kids on patrol, and in fact, I wrote once about one of the men who inspired me to do it here.

Police officers going out of their way to help people is an everyday thing, it just seldom makes the news because, who cares if an officer gives a homeless man a few bucks or some new shoes or whatever, right?

We’re all human beings, so we should be doing what we can to help each other.

I don’t know how to find comments on places like Reddit or Stumblewhatever, but I can say that the comments on my blog page and most of those I’ve found outside of my blog have been supportive and positive. I say that only because it gives me hope that people still care.

People still enjoy hearing about the good that humanity has to offer, and that’s encouraging.

So, to all you new followers, welcome. If you haven’t read my other posts, you probably shouldn’t. Most of them aren’t touching in any way, though there are many pictures of my lips touching a bottle of beer, so there’s that.

I hope you’ll stick around and have fun with me here.

To my regular readers, thank you as always. I looked at the other post I wrote that was Freshly Pressed just about a year before the one last week, and was amazed to see that many of the people who commented on that post are still my friends today. Yes, I consider my followers my friends.

Thank you all so much for staying with me. Your comments and likes and love on Facebook make blogging one of those things I look forward to doing.

Well fuck (almost an entire post without saying it!), I have to get ready for work now, so until next time…peace!

70 Responses to That post last week…

Rock on, Don πŸ™‚ ::waves:: I’ve been MIA lately. Trying to catch up! Miss you and your crazy ass!

• Hilarious that you were the first comment because you were there for that last FP post and yes, I’ve missed you. I’ve sucked at being on social media lately, so it’s probably my fault. I hope all is well with you. I’m going to visit your blog to make sure it is!

Wow!!! You are a star! Well deserved Donny Boy! And I called both of them. Your wife and I know good stuff when we see it.

3. Daphney says:

It was a great post. You deserve the recognition for it.

4. Koa says:

You got to talk with Don Lemmon??? πŸ˜‰ (way to go officer)

5. claywatkins says:

75000! That’s impressive, but when you have something important to say – then people listen and read. That was a wonderful story and people are so good to each other …. It’s just the pebble in our shoe – it’s small and it hurts, but it gets our attention. I could’ve done without the naked in bed thing, though. Have a great week – keep paying it forward. Great follow up post.

6. Carrie Rubin says:

That is so awesome! Wonderful job! I can’t believe I missed the post (always a laggard, I am). I’ll go check it out now.

7. Jen Lawlor says:

I read it several times. It oozed “peace”…and among all the chaos..I needed that. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

8. Ha! I love this post mostly, because you warned your new readers not to read your old stuff. That made me laugh. Your little Gman is the cutest thing ever (aside from my Chan man of course). I’m so happy for you and your post and glad I was with you before you truly went viral. And, seriously….not ONE post without the F word? πŸ˜‰ You’re the coolest, Don.

• Hmmm, yes. I did think you would have left me a long time ago, lol. Why do you stick around, if I may ask? I love having you, but I wonder sometimes. Maybe the mormons aren’t as bad as I think they are?

9. oh… i remember that post so well. man, it wrecked me. this last one was great too. so glad you’re getting noticed. you deserve it! go get yourself a double scoop! πŸ™‚

10. Sometimes, Don, out of chaos comes some clarity. Here’s to however those Bud Light Limes help. πŸ™‚

• Thank you, Eric! I appreciate your comments all the time. They help a great deal. A great deal. Lol.

• I know you are committed to your work, Don. And thank you for your tireless and often under appreciated efforts. Reading your posts over time, I frequently wonder if you’ve missed your true calling; that being a writer and messenger who gets comparably and duly compensated for your off-hours talent. You’re that good.

11. REDdog says:

Fuckin’ stoked to know another famous blogger. Top stuff Don, I’m off to theBar to toast you…again. Respect Red

12. Cheryl says:

Gratuitous cute kid pic is adorable! And I was wondering when that F-bomb was gonna fly. LOL! Great job.

13. lrconsiderer says:

Don, you’re a star, no matter how much you try to hide it with assholery πŸ˜€

Did those kids get their basketball yet?

14. jgroeber says:

Happy last first day of pre-school, Dan… err, Don. We’ve got ours too next week I guess, although I was calling it, “Gees. Is summer frickin’ over yet?! Dear god, let summer end…” Day. Which seems inappropriate somehow.
    Adorable picture! Great post.

Who are you again? Oh yeah, a St. Louis Blues fan…;0). Thanks for keeping it real at a time events seemed to be blown out of proportion.

Gman looks so ready for his first day of school. How’s he liking it?

16. Twindaddy says:

It really is a great post, Don, and deserves all the recognition it’s getting. So are you going to be on CNN and shit?

• Thanks, Buddy! I appreciate it for real. No, I had to turn them down because my chief’s office never got back to me and I didn’t want to get myself in trouble just yet. Hope you’re doing well, even though you’re not drinking. Lol.

• Twindaddy says:

I know. It’s weird not coming home to have a drink, but I’m feeling better so I guess it’s worth it.

17. Well done! Let us know when you’ll be on TV!

18. kc says:

Oops….I went back and read the old posts. You didn’t post the directions soon enough πŸ™‚

19. NotAPunkRocker says:

I said it then and I will say it again: don’t go changing, Don. πŸ™‚ I am glad you are out here in our blogosphere and out there in the real world for others.

20. Couldn’t have happened to a cooler guy. Kudos.

21. Hey, congratulations, Don! I thought it was a great post, too, but didn’t get around to telling you until now. Life, etc., blah, blah (insert excuse of your choice here). I always enjoy your posts even though I don’t often comment.

P.S. Thanks for my morning belly laugh! “…like most things I do naked in bed, it didn’t take very long to finish” – bahaha!!!

22. juju333 says:

Congrats!!!
    When you are real, it shows. Your friends and followers know all of the sides of the real DOAT. Thank you for sharing and for keeping real.

23. Wow! Nice work! I missed the madness due to my intermittent blogging these days but will definitely go check it out! Look at you all freshly pressed twice. Woot!

24. Aw man!! You HAD to add that last line, didn’tya? Well, now- it wouldn’t be YOU if you didn’t. πŸ™‚

I’m so glad that what came out of you that morning in bed, was worth sharing Don. Aw crap. That sounds bad. Really bad.

No really! Your authentic, bare to the bones, naked in all your glory in words and apparently fabric- is where the jackpot jingles my friend. (Crap- I CANNOT for the life of me get away from it!)

Plain and simple. Peel away all the anger and doubts and questionable circumstances and judgments and all that jazz-(Well, I might as well say it here too- what the hell. CLOTHES) and you get Don. Just a guy doing good. πŸ™‚

25. Congratulations, Don. People do need to hear positive stories and I did enjoy yours on your neighborhood experiences. I’m sure the kids you helped think of you and police in a different light because of what you did. πŸ˜‰

26. Reggie says:

I am new to your website, but have really enjoyed your posts. You have such a great sense of humor. God Bless and stay save!

I’m proud of you. And I also totally called it. And hell yes, we’re friends! Just try to get rid of me now. πŸ˜‰

28. You make me like police officers.