Stopping by bar on any evening…a poetry tribute or criminal abomination?

A Canadian fella says that April is poetry month, whatever that means.

He’s a fine writer and fun blogger, so that’s good enough for me.

Inspired by his post about the sad state of affairs regarding poetry, poets, and all things related, I am going to pull a poem out of my ass written to the tune of my favorite poem, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.  It’s obviously a blatant rip off, with but a few words changed.  It’s near sacrilege, so I  hope that’s ok.

*ahem, clearing throat….*

Whose tavern this is I think I know.

It really doesn’t matter though.

I’m only here to drink some beer

And watch his strange patrons come and go.

My lovely wife must think it queer

To sit without my firearm near.

Between the biker and some guy holding a snake.

“They’ll beat you when you say Bud Light Lime,” she sneers.

She gives her purse a nervous shake,

Insisting this is a huge mistake.

The only others are an old barkeep

And a prostitute whose neck ink says “Jake.”

Yes the place is trash, its inhabitants are creeps.

But I am thirsty and extremely cheap.

And if I buy the giant mug, it’s mine to keep.

And if I buy the giant mug, it’s mine to keep.

Brilliant, right?!

Shut up, it took me like 6 minutes to do, sadly!

Seriously though,  make a concerted effort to appreciate poetry, both old and new.  It’s amazing what points a good poet can get across with just a few words.

Pretending you know anything about poetry makes you immediately better than anybody you’re near, so that’s a plus.  If you’re single and you can talk about poetry, even if it’s total BS, you’ll get laid!

There are some brilliant poets out there that none of us has heard of, and that’s a pity.

Many of them are right here on the blogosphere, toiling in anonymity.

Happy poetry month!

16 Responses to Stopping by bar on any evening…a poetry tribute or criminal abomination?

1. rossmurray1 says:

I am a muse! I mean “amused.” I mean both!

2. MissFourEyes says:

That was a beautiful poem, Don 😀

3. Mancakes says:

This has NOTHING to do with your magnificent prose but I must share: so I shared your “Day with Jesus” post with my born-cynical 15 year old daughter way back when you originally posted it. Since then you have been somewhat of a regular topic of convo in my house for various reasons… basically she likes to make fun of my “old lady blog” (f*cking brat) and somehow you manage to come up. Anyway we were talking about “that Don guy” and she decided last night that we should just refer to you as Jesus now. (I can only assume that this is because she equate you to that post and not because you can turn water into wine and somehow save my soul because let’s face it…I’m a lost cause, and if I wasn’t I’m sure this blasphemy will seal the deal, but then again maybe if we pronounce it the Spanish way “hay-zeus” I’ll still have a shot.) 🙂

• Lol, my own kids refer to me as that don guy too!

How frightening that you let your 15 year old daughter read either of our blogs! Were she not 15, I’d request that I be called Sexy Jesus, but since she is, that’s probably not appropriate.

I may have to write a follow up to that story soon…

• Mancakes says:

I am not your typical, orthodox sort of parent…I know that shocks you. 🙂 But that’s why my 15 year old daughter is awesome and aside from a disturbing love of all things One Direction, not your typical teenage girl either. But hey… teenage girls think you’re funny, that’s gotta count for something, right, Sexy Hayzeus?

4. Go Jules Go says:

For future reference, and I say this because I care: ix-nay on the Bud Light Lime if you want this bad boy to get you laid.

5. 1tric says:

Have one of your originals on my comments. It was just as “good” as this creation! At least April is a short month!

6. ha! I like it. And that is something coming from me. I don’t know why, but when it comes to poetry, I just don’t appreciate it usually. Just say what you want to say and quit beating around the bush trying to make it sound pretty!! That’s what I think about poetry. So, kill me.

• Lol. Killing is a bit much, but I can see why people dislike it. I’ve always enjoyed certain types, like Frost. I once argued with some dingbat for half a class about the meaning of the road less travelled poem.

7. Bud Light Lime?? How is it your man card has not been revoked?? Is the jingling in your wife’s purse the sound of your balls knocking together?? bwahahaha

8. April says:

This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped me.
    Appreciate it!