Blogger Idol continues, an update…

Sorry I’ve been MIA a little bit, but I got myself into that whole Blogger-Idol thing and, along with real life adventures, it’s fairly time consuming *casts angry glare at Arden.

I appreciate all your help in getting me through round one! I must have gotten a good number of votes because I think I finished 4th out of the 13 contestants with a post that wasn’t my best stuff. Your votes really do matter.

Since I’m in the competition still and I’m a sore loser, I’m in it to win it.  That means I’ll need your help, oh wonderful followers/readers/friends.

Here’s how it works. There are judges reading each assignment and giving scores that count for 2/3 of the total points per assignment. The remaining 1/3 of the points come from you guys and others out there with internet access who vote as well. It’s a little bit of a popularity contest, but what can ya do? If even most of you guys would put your Pop Tarts down for 20 seconds and vote for me, I’d like my chances. Of course, that assumes that the judges like what I wrote too.

Here is the week two challenge for those interested in playing at home.  Basically, write a newspaper article using 750 words or less and two pictures describing a crime you committed.  Those who’ve followed me for any period of time know that I use 750 words just to set up whatever story I’m about to tell, so having a word limit was a challenge for me.  But, I got it in (giggity) at 749 words and it’s pretty ok, if I do say so myself.  It may not be the judges’ cup of tea, I don’t know. You guys will like it though.

I’d like to send a special thank you out to Kristi at Finding Ninee for letting me use a picture of her fake sleeping. I didn’t want to use a picture of Wife since the sleeper had to be a victim of my heinous crimes, so I appreciate the picture, Kristi. How could she resist once I said that I’d have my balls on her head (you’ll get that tomorrow when the posts go live).

Aside from that, I’m doing well, even though none of you asked.

I jogged 12 miles (yes, in a row) this past Sunday at a 9:50 minute per mile pace and snuck 4.73 miles in during the 5 AM hour this morning at an 8:41 min/mi pace.  That’s good for me, so yeah, I’m feeling pretty good about myself right now. That run this morning was after nine Bud Light Limes last night.  I fall off the wagon a LOT with the beer, but the Cardinals beat the Pirates, so it was a special occasion.

So that’s where I am in life right now. The half marathon is in a couple of weeks, the Cardinals are still in the playoffs and the wife and kids are all alive and well.  Life is good.

Oh, while I have your attention, please do me a solid and say a little prayer or send well wishes or whatever your predilection is in these situations to my blogger friend Julie for her little niece, Evelyn. She was in a nasty accident and needs her Aunt Julie to be her usual fun self to help get her well. I know a lot of you guys also follow Julie already, and if you don’t, you should. She’s pretty funny even though she’s a Kansas State fan/alum. Just talk slow and she can keep up pretty good.

I apologize now for having to harass you for votes starting tomorrow at noon and throughout my stay in this contest, but it is what it is!  Thank you!

22 Responses to Blogger Idol continues, an update…

1. wow! that’s a crap load of running – go you!! so so impressed. and i can’t comment on your blogger idol piece but lets just say, i was nuts about it.

• Thanks! It’s been nice and cool the past few days which really helps. It was dark when I ran with my little headlamp this morning and I thought a coyote or something was following me so I ran fast! Lol. Were you really “nuts” about it? I reread it this morning and chuckled which is always a good sign, but you never know what the judges are into.

Ole! VOTE FOR DON! I’m super pumped for this post 🙂

3. Wish I could have seen you write a post of fewer than 750 words. You won’t sweat that much during the half marathon.

4. Saying a prayer for Evelyn! Good luck this week. 🙂

5. Melanie says:

Go Cardinals! STL ought to be loud tomorrow night.
    Congrats on the running. Good job on staying alive in Blogger Idol. Yay!

6. Mental Mama says:

For the love of homosexual squirrels man, if you’re going to drink beer can’t you at least drink something that doesn’t taste like Mexican camel piss?

7. Thanks for the update. I sent up prayers for little Evelyn. Good luck with the challenge. I’ll do my best to vote. Oh and I’m a K-Stater, too, so I’ll back Julie up if she finds it necessary to kick ur *ss. 🙂

8. Kerri says:

Here I was all proud of my 5k time and you blast me out of the water 🙂 I am worried about your word count, 750 must be very difficult. Cannot wait to go read and vote.

9. djmatticus says:

Good job on the running! And no need to apologize for asking for votes, we’re all on team Don here!

10. A.J. Goode says:

You’ve got my vote! ( of course, I may ask you to return the favor if I make the Top 10 in the writing contest I’ve entered . . . )

Congrats on making it this far!

11. Don,
    Have I told you lately you are AWESOME? Heading over to vote.
    Lj

12. Laura Lynn says:

I can’t believe you did it. I don’t mean the training for the 1/2 marathon-what is that? Like 2 miles or something? but the fact that you kept it to 749 words. I can’t do it either. You got my vote and I’m sending prayers for Evelyn.
    (ps: why the hell won’t the A’s just QUIT! it’s football season and the Raiders had to play late and that meant that I was half in the bag by the time the game came on…but I heard they won)

13. Lucky Wreck says:

Oh! Blogger idol? You have my FULL SUPPORT!!

You can always count on my vote! Tomorrow at noon – got it! Way to go on all the running – even hungover no less. Well done, Don : )

15. PinotNinja says:

Thanks for guilting/inspiring (its a fine line, ain’t it) into getting off my butt and going for a run tonight. If you could make it through 12 miles and then a hungover 5 miler pre-dawn, I can get myself through 7 miles before dinner (and earn a tasty liquid reward). Right? Maybe? Here’s hoping…

16. Good luck on your half. Take it from me, follow the signs, the officials directions, ask questions if you are confused. You don’t want all that training to go to waste by going the wrong way like I did. 🙂

17. Since I only drink liquor, I will put down my Skinny Pirate to vote for ya! And rock on with your twelve miles, you big stud. Even after all of that beer.

18. ksujulie says: