A giant hill a sizable lake and a near death experience?…

Here’s a quickie for ya.

Ha, my wife will wince when she reads that line out of habit. She’s no doubt had enough of my quickies, but that’s for another day.

As you regulars will recall, last Saturday I whooped it up gettin’ drunk at a got dang country concert, cowboy hat and all.

This Saturday, I shall be whoopin’ it up all classy and shit on a golf course.

Your mind is no doubt blown by my versatility, no? I AM the donofalltrades though, right?

I haven’t golfed in over a decade, so this should be amusing. I mean I haven’t hit balls or even touched my clubs other than to move them to get to the lawn mower in the garage.

There will be yelling and cursing and maybe some crying and hurt feelings, but at the end of the day, there will be beer, and that makes it sort of okay.

The point of this here post is to entertain you with a story that came to me as a result of my pending golf adventure.

Back when I was golfing more regularly, it was nothing for me to go and play a round on my own, either early in the morning or right after work.

On this near fateful day, it was an early morning tee time, 8 AM to be exact. That’s hella early for unmarried, lives by himself, no kids at the time Don.

I was playing a course that was fairly new to the area and entirely new to me. It was across the mighty Mississippin in Illinois (the s is silent and it’s totally a real state in the USA.)

I paid my fees and got my cart all packed to go. Mercifully, I would be alone. Sometimes, when you golf alone, they stick you with another set of players and that just drives me fucking batty because so many golfers are douchy cuntbags, quite frankly. Either that or they’re old or they’re women or some other obnoxious subset of society put on this earth to make my round of golf miserable.

On this day, however, there was none of that. It was just me, all alone.

The first tee was a shot to a green that you can’t see because it’s apparently down a hill. I hit a beauty of a shot, straight as an arrow (no shit, I’m not even lieing) and gave myself a mental golf clap before getting into my cart to go fuck up the second shot.

As there was no signage saying “DO NO DRIVE ON THE FAIRWAY” I went ahead and drove onto the fairway, as that’s where my ball would be. Upon cresting the hill in my cart, I saw my beautifully placed shot awaiting me in the middle of what was a ginormous fucking hill. It was huge and the green was somewhere down below, on the other side of a small man-made lake.

Normally, such a hill is no worry, but at 8:07 or so AM on this morning, the grass was still wet with dew and Don’s golf cart was having no part in stopping due to said wet grassy hill and shitty rubber colf cart tires being unable to reach an agreement on traction arrangements. Their stalemate left me alone in a golf cart sliding down a giant hill towards a not so giant, but still sizeable man-made lake.

As I slid past my ball thinking, “Fuck, it’s gonna suck having to walk up this hill to get that ball” it dawned on me that this cart was going to end up in that lake and I wasn’t really in the mood to get wet.

I weighed my options and decided that the best course of action would be to abandon cart, so I did just that. Almost.

As I jumped from the cart like a cowardly golf cart captain, one of my feet, probably the less cooperative left one, became entangled between the gas pedal and the currently superfluous brake pedal. Is superfluous used correctly there? I like it and it’s staying.

Anyway, as you can hopefully visualize, my dumb ass is now being dragged down a giant grassy hill by a regular sized golf cart towards a sizeable man-made lake. I can now see that there are good sized rocks placed around the lake as well.

As there were still every bit of a half minute before I was going to reach the rocks, my thoughts turned from having to walk up the hill to get my ball to how bad is it going to hurt when the cart hits the rocks and snaps my shin bone in half as it topples into the lake. I may have been yelling profanities and calling for Jesus (we’re pals for you new readers who may not have known this) all the way down, yes. While he didn’t appear before me, Jesus may or may not have played a part in that cart hitting the rocks and just stopping.

Just like that, it was all over. The cart did not topple over and snap my leg, it just stopped.

I got up and quickly looked around so I could play this off as something I totally meant to do, but it wasn’t necessary as there wasn’t a soul around.

I played the front nine holes and then went into the clubhouse to chat with the golf man.

When I told him that I almost broke my fucking neck jumping out of his golf cart, ย he said, “You’re not supposed to drive on the first hole fairway.”

Thanks for that information now, asshole.

“There’s no signage indicating that. Should I just have assumed that?” I asked.

He was clearly perplexed and I was becoming increasingly agitated and giddy at the thought of murdering this man with one of the many over priced golf clubs for sale right before my eyes.

As I imagined myself urinating on this man’s grave, another guy came in and apologized that the signs weren’t put up yet.

Thanks, asshole.

He did refund me my greens fee, so that made my experience much more tolerable.

I don’t recall if that was the last time I golfed, but it may have been. Let’s hope for a similarly sweet shot on that first hole and a much less traumatic rest of the way to the green.

Sorry, this turned out to be a not so quickie, after all. If only, amiright, Wife?? Whatever.

Have a great weekend all.

This entry was posted in Humor, Stories and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A giant hill a sizable lake and a near death experience?…

1. Kristi Campbell - findingninee says:

Your versatility and dumbassery are both inspiring and astounding. You truly are a DOAT. Have fun golfing today and try not to hit yourself over the head with your club or whatever. Quickie. hehe. Oh! My first job was as a caddy when I was 15. Heaven, because I was the only girl. Yup.

Ahhh, Don you are a man of my own heart. I’ve only golfed a few times in my life and one ended up with the cart in the pond. http://markbialczak.com/2014/05/23/put-on-the-all-weather-radials/ It is a tough game, make sure you are well fortified before attempting this. Ha!

After facing drowning and dismemberment via golf cart, I can see why becoming a police officer must have seemed tame…

4. Yep. Yep. We all have at least one good golf story. Often, more. Swing well (the clubs, Don).

5. lrconsiderer says:

*snorks with laughter* Ohhhh I wish you’d been on video! I’m glad Jesus (or not) helped you not fall in the lake, snap your legbones or die.

Careful with those balls, fella! Nice quickie ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Mike says:

LOL!!! Dude this was frickin’ hysterical!!! Thank you! My buddies took me out golfing a few years back. I was a really good golfer…a long time ago. I was on the tee box…true story…and swung with my 3 wood. Looking everywhere for where the ball went. My buddy sitting in the cart right next to me, “Wow, you sure knocked the shit out that one!!” Me, “Where did it go?” Him, “It’s at your feet dumbass.” ๐Ÿ™‚

Bahahaha wow you got super lucky!!! Glad the gold cart stopped, and that you got your money back : ). I hope this next round of golf warrants another post. I’m sure some crazy shit will go down. You have a gift!

8. REDdog says:

Nice one Don, but you just know the funniest stuff about this story would’ve been the various noises you’d have been making all the way to the rocks. Oh for a GoPro to have captured forever the girlie screams, the bargaining with Jesus (it’s alright, He and I have an understanding as well), the profanities at full volume…and then, nothing…just silence on the rocks. Love the way you tell a story, man, enjoy your game. I’ve got a 19th hole in my shed, I’ll be certain to raise one in your honour thisarvo. Cheers Red

Did you par the hole? What did you shoot for the nine?

See, Don, those are golf questions.

Holy crap, you coulda owned that Illinois course if you woulda broke your leg or ass or skull on that little escapade down the first fairway where the signage wasn’t put out yet. Dumbass workers really screwed that one up. Funny and scary story all in one.

How was the after-golf beer today? Did they have beverage cart girls driving around?

See, Don, those are my kind of golf questions, too.

10. Nadia says:

HAHAHAHA! I wish I could see this. At least you’re not going solo this time. I hope.

11. maurnas says:

I am giggling so hard at that mental image!

12. Julie says:

Was this before the age of selfies? I need a picture!!! Good luck this time!

13. See? That’s the morning when they should have stuck you with a cart full of old ladies.

14. rynolexson says:

I’d pay to see you golf. Golfing should also be illegal in your parts of the country.

15. Twindaddy says:

I wonder what kind of penalty you incur if your cart ends up in the lake instead of your ball? How many strokes is that?

Wow, someone was definitely looking out for your dumb ass that day. Then again, if you’d have gotten really hurt, we could have sued the crap out of them. Are you sure you don’t have residual neck pain or anything? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I know fuck all about golf, and I plan to keep it that way. The hubs doesn’t golf, so I don’t have to be a golf widow on the weekends or anything. Yeah me!

17. julie says:

Ok, so if there is any water anywhere at all on the course and I hit the ball but can’t see where it lands odds are it is in the water. I think there is some kinda magnetic water/ball draw that makes it inevitable. Was there no hope for turning said golf cart?? like maybe away from the lake??

18. So…did your golf cart run over your foot this weekend???

19. I’ll bet this was not when you were thinking of a hole in one on the green. Funny stuff – after the fact, of course. ๐Ÿ˜‰